You are only as good as your word

"Come with me and be my love, and we will all life's pleasures prove"
-Christopher Marlowe

Verbal breakage.

How many times have we been promised love and have never felt its embrace. Often times I have a hard time telling someone I love them, but it is my duty to prove it to them so there doesn't NEED to be a verbal affirmation.

Time after time I have been enthralled with what you say, but disappointed in what you do. Oh how well you present yourself to me, in language more seductive than its meaning. I have given truth to your lies. What you don't realize. Is that when you say one thing and do another, you are lying. You are falling short of your words.

Someone said to me the other day "How do you know someone is following God? You see fruit"-- obviously don't take this literal. But you see the works God is doing in them. How do you know someone is genuine? You don't even have to hear the person tell you they love you because their actions are enough. When we can see evidence in someones life that they did great things and they went down in history as being of person of their word, oh what a love story. I can imagine their love story, full of satisfaction.

We wonder why trust issues are brought into friendships and relationships. Because all of our lives words have proven to be nothing for us. Our parents saying they will never leave us, until that something better comes along. Or our lovers saying that they aren't like the others, that they will love us, then tire. Or in friendships, when someone calls you their best friend, and then are only a friend when convenient. We have no reliance in words anymore. When we continue to give empty promises we will continue to hurt those who are already hurting.

It says in the Bible "Let your yes' be yes and your nos' be no". Do you not see that God wants to keep the importance in our communication with one other because thats what He left us. Words. In a book. Now that the world has turned against each other have we turned against Gods words?

I am reading a book called "Soul Cravings" by Erwin McManus. He is the pastor of my church in LA. This will be my second time reading his book. In the beginning pages he talks about our desperation for love, our longing for love. That is why we put up with all the BS. It is why time and time again we pick ourselves up and continuing running towards it. It is hope that it is out there, our souls craving for love. I think that is why I continue to listen to peoples words. I haven't given up hope that one day when someone says "I care about you" or "I am your friend" that I can 100 percent trust them. Because when we lose hope we lose the passion to find community in one another. Our generation has been raised by the previous generation which was "Be your own person, don't let the man tell you who to be, live your own life" a generation of "Freedom". Well since that generation raised my generation what did I get? I got a bunch of kids that didn't care if they disappointed. They weren't meant to be there for you, its about them, who they want to be, where they can go. A generation where videos games and television was chosen over relationships. You know why? Cause relationships are HARD! It is easier to invest in something you can control, you can control when you turn off the TV, you can choose when it leaves you. You cannot control that with people and I think we are a generation so hurt by one another that we would rather be alone then have the chance of getting hurt again.

God. I envision a generation of action. A generation that works hard to make a relationship work whether they know if it is worth it or not. I pray for a generation that sets down the controller and picks up the slack.

"Bitterness is the enemy of love because it makes you unforgiving and unwilling to give love unconditionally. It is the enemy of hope because you keep living in the past and become incapable of seeing a better future. It is the enemy of faith because you stop trusting anyone but yourself"- Soul Cravings. I know God that we will always fall short, we will all make mistakes but I pray that we redeem ourselves to your people again. That you allow us the grace for one another. That when we chase after you you give us the power to be people of our words. The tongue is such a horrible gift. Our mouths are so full of power but so weakened to pain.

God I pray that you turn my heart from things untrue. That as I continue to make the choice in pursuing the intimacy of people, as I continue to trust the untrustworthy, as I continue to give grace that you have given me that you will be the one to fulfill me. That my words are that of truth and love. That my actions always match my words. That you make me a woman of God that is not broken by this worlds lies. That I will not be lost in meaningless words. That you show me what LIVING out your promise looks like and not just talking about it. I pray that you protect my heart as I choose to let it love. I pray that when I am hurt by people I know that I am hear to help change, and my purpose is not to expect anything more from them than I ever could from You. That when I find myself disappointed in my brothers and sisters you show me what its like to build trust again, you are not done with us God. This is just the beginning. The revival is coming. We will be a generation of actions. I pray that if all language was lost that our works will speak throughout history. God I pray that as I uncover my weaknesses you rush to me with your power. Thank you God for the heart of mine that is allowed to be hurt but always hopeful. That this relentless love for this world will ignite a new language. Promises will be fulfilled and words will find their meaning again. You are the only one I take with me on this journey God. You are the only one that can save me from this world.

Yesterday a revival was proclaimed, today direction is given, tomorrow is determined.

Comments

Mother Brown said…
You are like a voice crying out of the wilderness. Your willingness to lay your heart and the thoughts in the depth of your soul is inspiring to me, which probably doesn't mean a whole lot because I'm your mother and I always told you and Amy that you were the one in a million child. The fact that you bear your soul with such honesty confirms it. God has amazing plans for you Anna. You watch, you wait, you'll see. Your generation is going to light this world on fire for Jesus. That is simply divine. Psalm 27:13 Yet I am confident I will see the Lord’s goodness while I am here in the land of the living.

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye my brother

Matramony manic

uh uh uh, not so fast